Modern architecture gives beautifully constructed homes with advance approaches of electrical and water fittings. A busted or leaking water main is like a nightmare to this ultra-modern layout and structure.
Water main is the water line that connects the plumbing technique of a domestic with the main (public) water supply. This technique is provided to make sure adequate supply of water to all the families in a community.
Many people suppose that installing the best plumbing technique is not likely to current any dilemma like a busted water main. But odds are that the main water line may quietly start leaking due to a variety of reasons. If not answered timely, a leaking water main can damage the home and expenditures innumerous to the house owners.
How to Detect a Busted Water Main?
When water starts seeping in the course of the lines, it offers alarming signals to the home owners. You have to have discovered cracks on the ceilings of a few houses. That’s the most typical indication that water is oozing out of some pipe line.
Not restricted to the cracking lines on ceilings, a busted water main can be noticed by means of a number of other ways too. The commonest being:
- Accumulation of water below sinks and floors
- Wet spots around toilets, tubs and sinks
- Water accumulation in yards
- Water in the street
- Ceilings with moist rings
- Cracks within the walls and ceilings
- Reduced water pressure
- Unpleasant odor
- High water bills
What Causes the Main Water Line to Bust?
The main water line presents water to the residents in the course of the pipe traces with adequate fittings. The water flows with strain under those pipe lines. When the water line bursts, the water sprays out with a significant force.
There can be various reasons for main water line to burst. Natural wear and tear of the pipes is the most common one. A good quality pipe may last for around 60 years. Yet still it wishes to be checked out for the natural wear and tear.
Another ordinary reason is inappropriate fitting of the plumbing system. Poor quality pipes or improper fitting causes the water to spray out and cause a lot damage to the house and waste water.
While other neighborhood progress work is carried out near your home, it may also cause rupture to the main line. Electrolysis is also among the reasons. It attacks the copper pipes and outcome into unusual and unpleasant odor.
How to Fix a Busted Water Main?
Whatever is the reason for the water seepage, however it needs to be constant up at earliest. Based on the nature of the rupture, the water main wishes to be repaired accordingly.
When water starts spraying out with a considerable force, the first thing mandatory is to seem out for handy recommendations to stop the water wastage. Such a fast repair can temporarily stop or at least slow down the leakage of water. This assist is enough to provide you with enough time to call for some professional plumbing services.
Temporary Rapid Fix
- Turn off the main water valve.
- Place some piece of rubber over the area where water is oozing out.
- Put a wooden block over the rubber.
- Place the C-clamp or Sleeve clamp, whichever is available, and tighten it up.
Permanently Fixing up the Busted Main
After rapid fixes, it is obviously essential to clear up the difficulty permanently. In such a case, a correct repair kit is needed.
- Resin Permeated Fiberglass Tape
Without a hassle of calling for a professional help, this tape can help you eliminate the issue within few minutes. All you wish to do is prepare the pipe surface, activate the tape with water and comply with the application instructions. In no time your main pipe line will be repaired.
- SharkBite Fitting
For repairing copper pipes, SharkBite fitting is the finest option. For holes much less than 2 inches, a single clip coupling is enough. A hacksaw or rotary pipe cutter is required to cut out the damage piece of pipe. Make sure that the perimeters after slicing are smooth and de-burr. Slide the pipe into slip end of coupling.
If the hole is larger than 2 inches, two straight couplings can be used. The couplings would be placed on each conclusion of the pipe.
Sometimes, it’s mandatory to use soldering in order to repair a damage of main pipe. For that purpose, following these steps can be helpful
- Shutting off the main valve
- Use pipe cutter to eliminate the damaged piece of pipe
- Remove the screw from the valve
- Cut the recent copper pipe to the desired length
- Clean the originally outfitted pipe with metal wool and also the valve
- Apply soldering flux at the outer facet of the pipe and inside the valve
- Heat up the pipe and the perfect at their connection factor using a Propane torch
- Push the solder into the joint 2 inches wherein the valve connects to the pipe.
- Use the same soldering method to install new assembly to the water line.
- Turn at the main valve and check out for leaks.
Photo by way of Adam850 at English Wikipedia (Public domain)
Factors to think about whilst solving up
Whatever method, you choose to repair the main water line, the following factors are important to consider:
- Previous history of water pipe damage and repair
- Age of the pipe
- Material of pipe
- Cost of installation
- Reputation of the professional plumbing contractors (if hired)
It isn’t mandatory to always have the water pipe repaired by way of yourself. It is probably to damage again, if the material or the method used within the previous repair was not appropriate.
If it sort of feels essential to replace the entire water line from your house to the main supply, it is advisable to pass ahead timely to save any further losses.