No one likes boring or scratched-up laminate cabinets. They are able to easily bring down the vibe of the room. However, if you’re shying faraway from changing your cabinets as it’s a dear in addition to time-consuming task, don’t worry. Attempt portray laminate shelves instead.
Painting laminate cabinets will deliver them a brief refresh in a lot much less time, money, and effort. It’s an affordable thanks to flip your eyesore garage into eye-catching, modern cabinetry.
Planning a full-scale home remodeling? Attempt ourfree estimatorto grasp how much your home redecorate cost could be.
When painting laminate cabinets, you wish to make sure that the activity is done well. Given that such cabinets have tender surfaces, some paints may not bond good with it. The trick for painting laminate shelves is to arrange the outside well and use a top quality paint primer.
Want to understand more approximately portray laminate cabinets? This guide will assist you with the full process, together with some imperative tips.
Painting Laminate Cabinets: Step-By-Step Guide
1. The Preparation
If you desire to get the best painting results, practice your cabinets. As outlined above, you need to remove each of the hardware, including hinges. Fix the damage, clean the doors, and sand them lightly.
2. The Primer Work
Laminate cabinets require a coat of primer before the actual painting. A solvent-based primer is best. Or, you may buy a specifically formulated primer that’s terrifi for laminate surfaces.
After the primer cures, sand the cupboard returned and remove the sanding dust. Keep in mind that a solvent-based primer treatments quicker than a water-based one.
3. The Sanding
Once the primer has thoroughly dried, sand the surface again, but lightly. You don’t desire to take off all the primer you just applied, do you? Clear off all the dust.
4. The Painting
Finally, it’s time to begin painting the cabinets. Choose a paint that’s designed to work with laminate surfaces. Select a tough, chip-resistant finish that cleans easily with mild liquid cleaning soap and hides any minor imperfections.
Want anything colorful? attempt our aid on kitchen cabinet color combinations
This is likewise the degree whilst you could also flip your plain flat-front doorways into paneled ones with wooden or composite moldings. Uncover moldings in various widths and designs at your local hardware store, cut them to size, paint them, and use wood glue to adhere them to the door fronts when dried.
Thinking in complete home improvement? comply with our ultimate guide and get ready for your renovation!
Types of Paint for Laminate Cabinets
You must use paint with well bonding characteristics to ensure that the paint job lasts. You can choose a semi-gloss finish. Try to avoid chalk paint and matt paint. They will be more likely to show every greasy fingerprint.
When it comes to laminates, the standard and varieties of paint are important. Here are a few good choices:
Water-Based Latex Paint
Water-based paint or latex works well on laminate shelves utilizing a well primer. Ensure that it totally cures, or else the coat of paint will continue to be sticky and would peel off easily. Usually, latex paints may take one to 4 weeks to cure. As a way to slash stickiness, you may observe a thin layer of cooking oil on parts that touch different painted laminate surfaces.
Solvent-Based Alkyd Paint
Solvent-based paint creates a hard finish on laminate cabinets. This allows you to clear your cabinets easily. Therefore, its a perfect selection for hardworking places such as the kitchen.
Special One-Step Paint
It’s finest if you use specifically designed paints that adhere well to laminate surfaces. They don’t even require a bonding primer underneath. If you have the capacity to find a one-step paint on your regional domestic improvement store, it will prevent some portray time too.
Whichever form of paint you choose, you need to train on scrap laminate surfaces or hidden parts of the laminate shelves before you paint all of your cabinets.
Here are a few vital features which you have got to remember before portray laminate cabinets.
Painting Laminates: Practices to Avoid
While you may be able to paint such a lot wood furnishing easily, portray laminate is a further tale altogether. Given that it’s now not as porous as its wood counterpart, a laminate calls for unique floor preparation, paint, and paint application. Make sure that you comply with these practices:
- Never, ever paint over broken laminate cabinets. When you’ve got a laminate that’s cracked, warped, or peeling — your paint job would be simply as bad. It’s essential that the laminate is in good condition. Repair or reface your shelves before using paint.
- Don’t forget to take away cabinet hardware. Take out all knobs, pulls, and other obvious cupboard hardware before portray laminate cabinets. It is going to be sure a smooth application. If don’t want to remove the metallic on the hinges, disguise them with painter’s tape. Eliminate each of the doorways and drawers, and paint them separately.
- Never leave any dirt or grit behind. The paint color you’ll use will fail to adhere well to the laminate if there’s dirt.
- Don’t miss to sand the cabinets properly. To enable your paint to bond with the cabinet, you’ll have scuff up the in any other case sleek laminate a little with the help of grit sandpaper. 120-grit sandpaper is a good choice for laminates.
- Don’t reuse ancient or left-over primer or paint. Laminates need specifically formulated primers and paint. In case you do decide for an everyday primer, select a good-quality, strong one after which true it with an oil- or latex-based paint after the primer has cured.
- Don’t go away any brush strokes behind.The traditional paintbrush has a tendency to depart an unsightly trail of brush strokes. Choose for a roller, sprayer, or a paint pad rather and get a streak-free finish.
- Don’t divulge yourself too much to fumes. Primers and paints release robust fumes. Always use chemical-resistant paintings gloves for the paint job. Moreover, enhance ventilation within the room and hold out infants and pets.
Now that you’ve a fair suggestion of what to avoid whilst painting laminate cabinets, paint the cupboards on your well-liked hues and enliven your residing space.
What approximately some darker layouts? Attempt our guide on creative ways to incorporate black kitchen cabinets
If your laminate cabinets are beginning to look a little dated, it’s time to refresh their seem via painting them.
Our guide on portray laminate cabinets will assist you get good results. You can either consider it as a DIY task or getprofessional help for the task. Either way, your paint job should be up to standard, last long, and appear super-cool.